The Central East District of the Ohio Music Teachers Association (CEOMTA) has been selected as Local Association of the Year 2020 by its national affiliate, Music Teachers National Association (MTNA). Each year, MTNA selects one of its 500+ local associations from around the country for making “the most significant contribution to the music teaching profession through participation in MTNA national programs and additional programs established within their state and local area.” CEOMTA is a dedicated group of 92 teachers, built up over many years to support both students and teachers in the community.
CEOMTA offers a variety of events for students, including:
• Pianorama – a biennial event featuring multi-piano ensembles in concert, with up to 20 pianos on stage.
• Scale Olympics – a biennial event focusing on piano technique and musicianship skills.
• Out & About – a monthly community service event where students provide music at St. Ann’s Hospital, Riverside Hospital, and various retirement homes around Columbus.
• Solo & Ensemble Recitals – a formal opportunity for students wishing to gain performance experience.
• Buckeye Auditions – district winners of this local competition go on to compete at the state level each June.
• CEOMTA/Graves Solo & Ensemble Competition – a local piano competition co-sponsored by Graves Piano & Organ Company for over 55 years. Elementary through adult Young Artist pianists from all over the state compete in this prestigious event.
• Summer Jam Camp (2018 only) – a 1-day piano camp offering 5 classes: Taiko drumming, Music & Movement, Composition, History of the Piano, and Music Apps. Students in the performance track of this event also rehearsed with a bassist and drummer for the final concert at the end of the day.
Professional development opportunities for teachers include:
• District Conferences, Piano Workshops, and Masterclasses – consistently featuring nationally and internationally recognized artist teachers and pedagogues
• Independent Music Teachers Forum – informal meetings exploring topics of interest
• Grants for Professional Development to support teachers’ continued education
• Support for teachers who wish to become Nationally Certified Teachers of Music
The Local Association of the Year Award was to be presented at the MTNA National Conference in Chicago this past March, however, the conference was canceled and instead presented online. MTNA plans to present the award to the district in person at the 2021 National Conference in Atlanta next March.