The Out and About program consists of public service performance opportunities for students. These events may include recitals, hospitals, senior living places, mall performances and creative activities. The hospital events are aptly termed “Sound of Mind and Body”. The hospital “listening audience” consists of staff, patients and families who are passing through the lobby. All Out and About events are on Sundays.
Dates and Times
2021 – Due to many restrictions at the hospitals, Out & About will not take place this Fall.
Sunday, September 19 – St. Ann’s Hospital – 1:30 p.m. Sunday, October 17 – Riverside Methodist Hospital – 1:30 p.m. Sunday, December 5 – St. Ann’s Hospital – 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, January 23 – Riverside Methodist Hospital – 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 20 – St. Ann’s Hospital – 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 20 – Brookdale Pinnacle – RECITAL – 3 p.m.
- Sunday, April 24 – Riverside Methodist Hospital – 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday, May 15 – St. Ann’s Hospital – 1:30 p.m.
- Students may play up to 5 minutes in length.
- Each teacher is limited to a total of 20 minutes of student performance time.
- Students should have studied for at least one year and/or repertoire should be at least early to mid-elementary level/Guild EB.
- Pieces should be at least 16 measures long.
- If there is an open space or a last minute cancellation the chairperson may contact teachers to bring additional students.
- Duets are permitted.
- Adults welcome.
- All proposed pieces are deemed performance ready by their teacher. This means that pieces should be accurate, well-prepared, and “polished” in order to represent OMTA well in a public setting.
- Students should be taught how to walk to the piano, perform, and bow afterwards.
- Memorization is encouraged but not required.
- Since this is not a recital, nearby seating must be reserved for the “audiences” rather than family.
Wednesday before the Sunday of each performance.
How to Register
Registration by email to Miriam Brown must come from the teacher. Please include the teacher’s name, the student’s name and age, level (beginner to advanced) and the piece’s title, composer and length. Encourage parents to fill out the Student Image Permission Form – link below.
Free to students of CEOMTA members; $5 fee for students of nonmembers.
Miriam Brown, NCTM
2787 Serene Pl – Columbus, OH 43231
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, all activities and events are subject to change.
Last updated August 22, 2021